Forget Yourself and Go to Work

Hola a mi familia y amigos!

Como les van!? This week FLEW by. On Thursday morning somebody said they were so happy it was Thursday and it took me a minute or two to believe it was actually Thursday! Every day is just filled with so many different things! Practice teaching appointments, classes, never ending food, exercise, language study, personal and comp study... we are encouraged to have a full planner and my companion and I have every half hour planned out...it's a busy but good life here in the MTC!

This week, and past weeks, we have constantly been taught the principle of my subject line: forget yourself and go to work. It always reminds me of that email Ethan sent home on his mission talking about that EFY song "It's not about you" (haha Elliott and I would joke about it all the time) but really it's a good song that teaches so much! Every time I am feeling down about things, annoyed or frustrated, I can take a step back and realize: It's because I'm focusing on myself. In the practice lessons that we've had, I've found that when I'm focusing more on the people we're teaching and their actual needs and less on my language skills or what I am saying, I feel the Spirit of God leading the lesson and guiding my words. When I am focused on myself I walk out feeling like... well I just didn't feel the Spirit that much (even if I thought the lesson was good!). The Spirit really does only reside in Holy Places! It's up to us to make our minds and atmospheres those Holy Places through constant service and focus on the right things.

Going along with that, we taught three lessons this week (en espanol)! Monday we practiced meeting people and getting to know them and their needs. Then Wednesday and Thursday we had actual lessons! Unfortunately the Amigo (new word we use for person interested in the church) we were supposed to teach was sick both days! So, we show up on Wednesday to find the lesson we had planned would still work... but we just had to adjust some things. In English, this wouldn't be that hard, Spanish is a little different haha. We were both feeling a little nervous at the beginning, me especially, but when we walked in and shut the door behind us, I felt the Spirit fill the room, and fill what felt like every inch of my body. I felt words come to my mind and the things I spoke were fluid and the best Spanish I have spoken here. I understood almost everything the Amigo said, and if I felt stuck, it was only for a moment and then something would come to mind. I know the Gift of Tongues was with me during that lesson, I truly felt guided by a power beyond my own. It was the most amazing feeling. During this appointment we also had a teacher observing us and helping where needed. After the lesson, while giving some feedback, she told us she would have thoughts of correction during the lesson, but then seconds later we would make those exact corrections. It was truly an amazing experience for me. I know the Lord magnifies who he calls.

One of the best parts of the week was Elder Quentin L. Cook, one of our church leaders, coming to speak to us! His speech was broadcast to 11 other MTC's around the world! The power we felt was immense as he entered the room! He truly is an apostle of God! He spoke to us about a few things but the parts that stuck out to me the most were about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Elder Cook also showed us actual pages of the original manuscript of the Book of Mormon, specifically from Alma 34 (a powerful chapter about the Atonement of Jesus Christ). He spoke about how the Book of Mormon was translated, bore testimony of the authority of the prophet Joseph Smith, and spoke about how the Book of Mormon has been used for hundreds of years as the ultimate missionary tool. The power in it's words alone bear a powerful testimony of Jesus Christ, and this alone is what truly convinces hearts that the Book is of God. If the Book of Mormon is true, then Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. If Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, then Jesus Christ's church has been restored on the earth today. I know it has been.

Before that devotional even happened, I had reread Joseph Smith's account of events leading up to the First Vision, as President Nelson suggested to us, and it was the most amazing experience! I hadn't read those words since probably freshman year of High School. The words Joseph Smith speaks are of the world being in confusion and of him just wanting to find the truth, when he offers up a sincere prayer, he receives his answer through a vision of God the Father and the Son. Every time I read or recite those words of the First Vision, I can feel the power and truth that accompanies them- a power I cannot deny. My testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon has truly grown this week, and ever since I got to the MTC. Through Elder Cook's devotional, my personal readings, and the words of my favorite Spanish teacher, I know that without the Book of Mormon we could not have true happiness in this world. My Spanish teacher, Hermana Silva, quoted President Benson as she told us the Book of Mormon is comparable to the last breath of air we need before falling into the water - it's essential. The Book of Mormon is truly THE most important thing. Without it we would be lost and without guidance. I pray that each of us will consider the magnitude of importance that is held in that book. It's a testimony I hope to further on my mission.

Not many super crazy or exciting things happened this week but I am learning every day how to have more patience, more happiness, and how to be more like my Savior. It is not easy, but I know it's worth it. Something else my Spanish teacher said to us also struck me: "There are people who need you. Your testimony, the way you teach, your personality, YOU." I know this is true. I know people are in their own forms of apostasy and I am the one, working through the Spirit, to get them out. Every day I am reminded of my purpose here, and there is truly nothing more I'd want to be than a missionary. I love being here, and I know I am supposed to be here, no matter how hard it may be.

Some exciting news from last week I thought I would share: I GOT INTO MY PROGRAM AT BYU! I had applied to BYU's advertising program before I left for my mission and my family informed me last week that I was accepted! I am beyond excited and grateful! WAHOO! Thanks to all who were praying for me to get in!

I really mean it, thank you for the love and support of my friends and family back home. I love reading your emails and I love feeling your prayers. I am praying for you all always. God knows you and hears each of your situations and needs.

Love, Hermana Leonard

Funny Moment(s) of the Week: I rack up about 10 quotes a day from our Elders so here are some of my favorites this week:
-Elder Jones: Our teacher told us she had a surprise for us but we wouldn't like it. This Elder goes, "Well if we're not going to like it, just call it "Medium News.'"
-Elder Samson: "I was a HOOT in High School. At the beginning of the year one of my classes had no rules... at the end of the year we had 40... all because of me."
-Hermana Hart (our spanish teacher): After hearing the Elders talk about loopholes she goes: "Do NOT look for loopholes, you will find Satan there!"

Haha I promise we get things done in our classes, but a little humor gets us through the days:)

Topic of Study Idea: I invite you all to go reread the account of Joseph Smith in JSH- 1-28. The power in those words is immense and testifies of Jesus Christ's gospel being restored. I cross referenced the word "power" in verse 19 to chapter 3 in Timothy. This chapter talks about our day and how the true gospel will be restored! Even the Bible testifies of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon! So cool!

The Classic map picture--Ecuador
Memorizing Moroni 10:3-5 with some casual teaching

Elder Smack!  Love seeing him all the time--he's now in a trio with Elder Doman

Best part of the MTC: they look out for cat lovers
View from our District classroom--Love Provo in the Fall


Favorite Hermanas-friends through vball.  Off to Kentucky and California!
Week 3- woot, woot!


Comments