Welcome to the MTC!
Hello hello!
The title of this post is a phrase I heard at least three times a minute on my first day! Everyone was so nice and welcoming which was truly needed during a very emotion filled day :)
Right away, I met my companion Hermana Kelsey, who is from Fairview Utah, and the rest of my district (group of missionaries) who I will be spending lots of my time with! I also received a phone to use throughout my stay at the MTC and was told my preparation day will be on Saturdays! So that is the day I can communicate with everyone from home! My favorite part of the day was definitely when some missionaries, who were standing on a balcony above us, started cheering and yelled "Welcome to the MTC!!" as they threw paper airplanes at us! Haha...they really know how to throw a welcome party around here ;)
The rest of my time, so far, has been spent in Spanish classes, various workshops, gospel study, and overall just adjusting to a very new life. There have definitely been ups and downs but luckily I have seen many tender mercies along the way. During one class in particular, the teacher said just the words I needed to hear, "It's your turn." I've watched all three of my older brothers serve missions, and I've seen them grow to love their time spent doing the Lord's work. I know I will come to love it too.
Other highlights so far have been, meeting our Branch Presidency (leaders in the MTC), playing volleyball during gym time (where I was reprimanded for diving...whoops haha), and seeing many familiar faces! So far in the MTC I've seen many kids from my BYU ward, Elder Smack and Elder Doman from back home, and two of my good friends from BYU, Sister Trapp and Sister Davis. It is so much fun to see friends all engaged in the same work.
Today was also General Conference! Meetings in which worldwide leaders of our church speak to us! All the missionaries were gathered in one room and as soon as the meeting started the spirit was almost tangible that filled that room. It was amazing to turn around and see hundreds of missionaries all singing "How Firm a Foundation!" This reminded me of something a branch presidency member's wife said to me that was so powerful: "You will never be in a place again with this many temple recommend holders, worthy priesthood holders, covenant keepers, and those who are engaged together in one work." There truly is no place like the MTC. It was humbling to see so many hands go up to sustain our living prophet, Russel M. Nelson.
The funniest thing I've heard here, so far, was from my companion. We were all going around saying if we were allergic to anything. We had all said "no", but when it got to my companion, she paused after saying "no" and added, "except I refuse to eat blueberries, those things are the worst food in the world, I will not eat them" I was laughing so hard I just thought it was so random and funny.
I will leave you all with a thought from one of my favorite talks during General Conference which was on Joy by Elder Anderson: "The joy we feel has very little to do with the circumstances of our lives, and everything to do with the focus of our lives." He explained that our circumstances do not matter as long as we remain steadfast with our faith in Jesus Christ, who is always there for us no matter what-- this is where our true joy comes from! This struck me in my situation currently and I really do feel this is true. As long as we focus everything around Christ, we can be happy in any situation. Christ lifts us up, Christ is there for us, Christ gives us joy even when we feel there is none.
Con mucho amor,




Comments
Post a Comment