Wait, we're "the Missionaries"?!

Hola Hola family and friends,

This week felt like an eternity, yet as always, it also flew by. Our last week in the MTC consisted of: a day trip flying to Arizona to GET MY VISA, listening to Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf for Tuesday devotional, hitting my friend in the face with a volleyball, and saying some sad goodbyes to some friends and teachers because it's our last week here at the MTC!

My favorite quote from our Sunday endeavors this week was from our devotional/speech delivered by Brother Durant, he said: "funny thing is about going on a mission, you care a lot less about who you were, and more about who you'll become." Like our teacher, Hermana Silva, has similarly told us, we're not giving up 18 months/ 2 years to come back the exact same people; we're on missions to "convert ourselves, as well as others, and learn the Lord's way of life." How amazing is it that I get to spend my days doing the Lord's work!? I've already learned so much and I'm only a month in :) Looking forward to many more.
One of our teachers, Hermana Silva, she's become one of my biggest inspirations and best friends

Spanish is coming along, we continued to teach practice lessons this week to "amigos" (people who are interested in learning about The Church of Jesus Christ) and my companion and I felt more fluid with each one. We even got to skype with a woman in Peru to have a lesson with her, and we asked our amiga Melany this week if she would commit to a date to be baptized (she said yes)! Fun stuff, and I feel like my teaching skills are improving with each lesson; we focused very specifically this week on the importance of really adapting what we're teaching to each person's needs and not just being robots with our words. I see God working through me to help me become a better teacher for His people each week!
On the way to class...love mi companera and these flags!

The craziest part of this week was flying to AZ for a day! Woke up at 1:30am, flew out at 7:30am, sprinted to our appt. because our flight was delayed, sat in an Ecuadorian Consulate for 3 hours, received our Visas (woot woot, I'm officially going to Ecuador!!!), ate food from the outside world, and made our journey back to good old Provo just in time to hear Elder Uchtdorf speak! It was so so fun to be out in the real world wearing the Savior's name on my shirt. People definitely notice you and pay attention to what you are doing! WE were the missionaries! We felt so cool, haha, and so honored with the responsibility to hold up Jesus Christ's name (it really is a responsibility)! SO many people were so kind to us as they offered to pay for our food, gave us discounts on food, took pictures and sent them to our mothers, asked us where we were going to serve...etc etc. We saw SO many miracles as we traveled and talked with strangers at every moment of the day- even those who had never heard of the church! Super fun real world experience that made me so excited to go out into the field and interact with more of God's children!
The girls I traveled to AZ with.  They're going to Ecuador as well.

Palm Trees--my favorite tree in the whole world and the #1 thing I was excited to see in Arizona! haha...

Leaving the MTC made me notice two things: I LOVE the MTC, and the Spirit of God felt on these grounds is indescribable. After being here for so many weeks you get used to just how amazing it feels to be here. It really has become another home for me, and while I will be sad to leave, I'm so excited for new things as well:) So yes, Elder UCHTDORF came this week (we seriously sprinted from the bus because we were late for the devotional) and the power of God was so strong in that room. He focused his message on "the things we can control: our thoughts, feelings, and actions." He said we must "place on the alter of sacrifice" these things, and as we do so we develop into being true disciples of Christ. I love this concept that we must not get overwhelmed by things we can't control and focus on the things we can; Elder Uchtdorf said, "Jesus himself increased line upon line, precept by precept" thus we do too. I am so grateful for the power of God's apostles and prophets on the earth today!
I LOVE my district.  The hardest part about leaving the MTC will be leaving them.

While I am sad to be saying goodbye to good friends and my stay here at the MTC I'm so grateful for the time I've had here. It really has become a haven, and my testimony has grown in enormous ways. I know my Savior lives and I know that despite challenges and changes in life, God truly does have a plan. Talk to you all next week!

Hermana Leonard

Funny Quotes:
-This Elder in our district has been collecting salt packets from the cafeteria our whole stay here and he keeps one in his bag. So. whenever anyone gets slightly moody he pulls out the salt and goes, "is someone feeling...salty!?"
-the word for embarrassed in Spanish is "pena" but the word "embarazada" sounds like it should be "embarrassed" but it means "pregnant." Whenever someone mixes the two up, some Elder in the district, without fail, will start clapping and yell "felicidades!" (congratulations!)
-An Elder didn't know how to play "52 pickup" this week so my companion promptly showed him by throwing her green and red flash cards all over the place. Our teacher looks at all the cards and goes, "awe, Feliz Navidad! (Merry Christmas!)"
Our district with our other MTC teacher that we love, Hermana Hart!

Study: The phrase "every member a missionary" has continually come to mind during my stay at the MTC. This week we taught a lesson on what it means to be a daily disciple in the way we live our religion and thus treat others. I think it is really interesting to study what it truly means to be "living intentionally." 1 Timothy 4:12 was quoted by Elder Uchtdorf in reference to this topic and I'd be so interested to receive any thoughts anyone might have on the subject:)
Saw my BYU roomie, Karls, this week.  We've been talking about these missions for a long time!

We found an MTC KITTEN this week...all I wanted to do was hold it and my dream came true!

Week 6!   Final week!

Comments