Man's extremity is God's opportunity
Hello Hello,
I have been transferred to the very tippy top of Ecuador, Tulcan, the very border of Columbia! As missionaries, we switch areas where we work every so often and apparently it was my turn to get switched! Everyone was super excited for me, because they only send one set of sister missionaries up here, and I get to be one of them! In fact, I'm the first gringa ever to be working up here on the border! So that's kinda cool! I was only in my last area for a few months, but saying goodbye to my area, the people in my ward, and our amigos (people we were teaching) was probably one of the hardest things I've had to do on my mission yet! I really grew to love the people in Nayon, Zambiza, and Montesserin, and they have received many of my prayers hoping they continue strong in learning about the gospel! They replaced us with Elders, in that area, so we're hoping those Elders take good care of our people:)
Saying our many goodbyes...
With these changes, all I'm running on right now is that God has a plan. I was very sad to leave, still am haha, but I know I will grow to love this new area just as much as the last. I also have a new companion, a latina from Peru, and her name is Hermana Oloya... so I guess I'll get to grow in my Spanish language abilities, too:)
Besides a lot of goodbyes, this week had a super special event: Elder Jeffery R. Holland, a living apostle of Jesus Christ, came and visited our mission in Quito Ecuador! Us missionaries, from both the Quito and Quito North missions, had a special meeting where Elder Holland spoke to us! I was like three rows away from him! We also got to take a picture with him, and shake his hand one by one! So cool! But, to make a long story short, it truly was one of the most spiritual experiences I have had here on my mission, and in my life! The Spirit felt as though it was piercing the room and truly filling my whole body. He spoke on many topics, but here are some of my favorite points:
I hope you all have a great week this week and continue to "investigate" the church daily. I truly testify that when we keep our faith fixed on the Lord, we can always find hope for tomorrow. All will be well in Zion!
Love you all!
Hermana Leonard
I have been transferred to the very tippy top of Ecuador, Tulcan, the very border of Columbia! As missionaries, we switch areas where we work every so often and apparently it was my turn to get switched! Everyone was super excited for me, because they only send one set of sister missionaries up here, and I get to be one of them! In fact, I'm the first gringa ever to be working up here on the border! So that's kinda cool! I was only in my last area for a few months, but saying goodbye to my area, the people in my ward, and our amigos (people we were teaching) was probably one of the hardest things I've had to do on my mission yet! I really grew to love the people in Nayon, Zambiza, and Montesserin, and they have received many of my prayers hoping they continue strong in learning about the gospel! They replaced us with Elders, in that area, so we're hoping those Elders take good care of our people:)
| I was here...serving the Lord in this beautiful area of the Inca Zone! |
| Favorite park in Nayon! |
Besides a lot of goodbyes, this week had a super special event: Elder Jeffery R. Holland, a living apostle of Jesus Christ, came and visited our mission in Quito Ecuador! Us missionaries, from both the Quito and Quito North missions, had a special meeting where Elder Holland spoke to us! I was like three rows away from him! We also got to take a picture with him, and shake his hand one by one! So cool! But, to make a long story short, it truly was one of the most spiritual experiences I have had here on my mission, and in my life! The Spirit felt as though it was piercing the room and truly filling my whole body. He spoke on many topics, but here are some of my favorite points:
- He repeated how we are the future of The Church of Jesus Christ! The Lord needs us to be "a certain type of Latter-day Saint" in order to lead His church in the future! He also said something I loved, "when I'm gone, when you're gone... the gospel is still going to be true." How powerful! Jesus Christ's gospel will always be true, since it already has been for thousands of years! We truly are part of Christ's church!
- He spoke about how we are all God's investigators (or amigos). He constantly wants US to make and keep commitments, keep progressing, and stay strong in the faith! The things we want for our amigos are the same things the Lord wants for us! What are we constantly doing to investigate the church??
- He shared what one sister missionary wrote in her journal while on her mission, "I haven't come this far to only come this far." He reminded us that the mission isn't a time apart from our life, but it's a part of our life which helps prepare us for the rest of life! "This is real life!", he said. So, I may be on a mission, but it doesn't mean that it's a break from real life! Everyday I should be growing to be a different person than I was before.
- My favorite quote: "Man's extremity is God's opportunity." During our hardest times, in our darkest moments of struggle, that is when if we turn to God He can help us the most. That is when He sends down a pillar of light to deliver us from the chains that can bind. God really is aware of us at all times, but especially at times that feel hopeless.
![]() |
| Picture with Elder Holland--I'm in the second row, about 6 people left of center. |
The same day we heard from Elder Holland we also got to visit a historic landmark called the Panecillo here in Ecuador! The significance is that before opening missions here in Ecuador, they dedicated the grounds of the Panecillo as a place where the gospel would be preached to this people! Really amazing Spirit felt there as they shared this story with us! We really are here in Ecuador to bring the world the Lord's truth! A gospel that changes lives!
I hope you all have a great week this week and continue to "investigate" the church daily. I truly testify that when we keep our faith fixed on the Lord, we can always find hope for tomorrow. All will be well in Zion!
Love you all!
Hermana Leonard


Comments
Post a Comment