Small and Simple Things
Hola hola!
Another week down and I'm lovin it! Someone told my comp and I this past week that we always just seem so happy... and we are! Just doing the Lord's work out here in sunny San Clemente!
This week we had Zone Conference (a meeting with lots of nearby missionaries)!! It was still over zoom (fingers crossed for the next one to be in person) but it was still awesome! In preparation for zone conference we were asked to read the talk "If Ye had Known Me" by Elder Bednar, a modern day apostle!
One of the main themes that he teaches in this talk is the concept of "steady and sustained progression" in terms of how well we actually know our Savior Jesus Christ. This past week I had a little realization about how we truly make that steady and sustained progression happen! As missionaries we use a reference book called Preach my Gospel which teaches us to invite the people we are teaching to consistently do three things so they can receive answers to their questions: 1) pray sincerely, 2) study the scriptures, and 3) participate in church meetings. The little things!!
I don't know why this struck me so hard, but it was just like wow... THAT is why we invite everyone to do those three little things... because without doing those three things we are not striving to make a connection with heaven so we can progress in our relationship with Jesus Christ. So, answers to our questions will not come if we are not making the effort to interact with God. When we pray we talk with God, when we read the scriptures, God speaks to us, and when we attend Jesus Christ's church we draw strength as we learn from others who are striving for God's guidance in their lives, too. When we ARE doing all these things, and doing them consistently, truly, "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6)!
This week we were focused on praying for some of our friends to do those small and simple things so they could receive answers about what we've taught them. With our friends Juan and Modesta, specifically, we offered them a date to be baptized and they said they would pray about it. Modesta, we believe, really understands why it is so important to be baptized by one who has the proper authority from God, but Juan isn't so sure. Why? Because Modesta has been keeping herself connected with heaven by doing the small and simple things, and Juan has not. :/ We will see what comes from our invitation to them so if you could all keep Juan and Modesta in your prayers... there is nothing I want more than to see these people receive the blessings of getting baptized, then sealed in the temple and their son able to go on a mission!! It is truly amazing how much love I have formed for these people... it's given me only a small glimpse of how much God loves us and wants us to grow in our closeness to Him. It's more than we can imagine.
As a missionary I have the opportunity to do the small and simple things consistently myself every day. Because I've been doing them, I can solidly say I have felt myself growing closer and closer to my Savior. It's an amazing feeling. I'd invite you all this week to be more engaged in your prayers, scripture studies, and at home church services... see how much happier and closer to God you then feel!!
Well, I love you all so, so much! I cannot describe how supported and loved I feel every week by my friends and family. Please, keep doing the small and simple things so you will feel how much God loves YOU and see how much steady and sustained progress you will make in your relationship with Jesus Christ!
Hermana Leonard
--slow week in the picture taking department...
![]() |
| P-day with the new District |
![]() |
| We had a surprise ant infestation so we had to empty our cupboards onto our kitchen table so pest control could come. |
![]() |
| We got invited to a 6 yr old's birthday party!! |



Comments
Post a Comment